Udad Dal - 1 Cup
Ginger - that could make 1tbsp of paste
Green Chili - 1-2
Eno - 1/2 tsp (to make them more light n airy)
Salt to taste
1. Soak udad daal for 2-3 hours
2. Grind to a fine paste along with ginger & green chillies, with very little water
3. Add salt to taste (you can eliminate this step and just soak in salted water in step 9 but I didn't like the bhallas without salt
when I made for the first time)
4. Add 1/2 tsp eno, to make them more light n airy
5. Beat with a hand beater till light & fluffy
6. Heat Ebelskiver pan and add 2-3 drops of oil in each hole
7. Drop spoonful of dal batter in each hole. Cook till golden
8. Flip and cook on other side too.
9. Now soak in hot salted water for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze and soak in dahi.
10. Sprinkle red chili, coriander powder, garam masala, salt if required and bhuna jeera powder. Top it with imli chutney!
You can freeze these bhallas in zip lock.
For defrosting: immerse in hot salted water (use salt only if not added in the bhalla batter). When cool, squeeze out water and immerse in dahi
Original recipe by: Ms. Ruchi Airen